When you imagine your dream wardrobe, what does it look like? Grand and filled with clothes that are often forgotten, or compact but only filled with pieces that you love? If the latter idea sounds better to you, then you may want to consider switching to a capsule wardrobe.
This mindful fashion movement has become increasingly popular over the last few years for several reasons. Find out if a capsule wardrobe will be right for you with our helpful checklist, and learn how to get started below!
What Is A Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is defined as a small yet versatile collection of clothing that can be mixed and matched in several different ways. It consists of staple pieces that you’ll enjoy wearing time and time again. This includes basics, classics, and anything else that will suit your body and lifestyle.
Capsule wardrobes and sustainable fashion go hand in hand as they promote shopping smarter and less frequently. But that’s not all; they can have a surprising effect on your mind as well!
The Benefits Of Having A Capsule Wardrobe
Stress-Free Styling. Save time in the morning or before going out by narrowing your options down to your favourites. You should be able to easily style most pieces in a capsule wardrobe with each other, so you won’t have to waste time figuring out which pieces will look good together.
- Sustainability. Say no to fast fashion by choosing a capsule wardrobe. The concept promotes high quality items that you can enjoy for years to come, rather than trendy pieces that you might only wear a handful of times.
- Savings. Reinventing your wardrobe might sound like an expensive task, but you’ll actually save money in the long run. You’ll learn to avoid trends and resist the urge to constantly buy new clothes with a capsule wardrobe.
- Serenity. Having a capsule wardrobe will make you feel amazing! By not constantly thinking about how you need to update your wardrobe, you’ll be able to shift your focus to other matters. You’ll also develop a strong sense of personal style, which will make you feel more confident. Finally, shopping in a mindful manner , will take away any previous guilt about your past shopping habits or your carbon footprint. Sometimes simplicity truly is the key to happiness.
How To Build A Capsule Wardrobe
So, are you ready to create a capsule wardrobe? Simply follow this checklist to get started!
1. Identify Your Current Favorites. These are the pieces you wear most often in a week or a month: your go-to cosy sweater, the blouse that you love wearing to the office, the jeans that make you feel extra confident.
Of course, there will be some exceptions like seasonal pieces (you can have separate capsule wardrobes for each season) or dresses that you save for special occasions. As long as it’s a piece you know you will re-wear many times in the future, it counts as a favourite.
2. Figure Out Your Wardrobe Goals. How do you want your clothes to make you feel? Are comfort and practicality your main priorities, or do you want to use fashion as a form of self-expression? After examining your wardrobe and determining your goals, you might encounter some pieces that don’t fit in with your vision.
3. Declutter. Now that you know how your ideal capsule wardrobe should look, it’s time to declutter. You could follow the rule of getting rid of anything that you haven’t worn in the past 6 months, or take Marie Kondo's advice and remove anything that doesn’t bring you joy. If an item of clothing doesn’t fit quite right or simply doesn’t feel like ‘you’, it doesn’t belong.
Be sure to declutter in a sustainable manner. Gift, resell, donate, or recycle your clothes instead of throwing them away.
4. Build Your Perfect Capsule Wardrobe.
It’s time for the fun part! Building a capsule wardrobe will look different for everyone, but make sure yours follows the key principles of high quality, versatile pieces that you love.
Here are a few pieces that we believe would be a good fit in any capsule wardrobe.
- A T-shirt as an easy basic or layering piece.
- A cozy sweater for chilly days.
- A button-down blousethat you can wear for formal occasions or with jeans and sneakers.
- Simple black pantsthat will match any top.
- A blazer, that makes a chic layering piece for business or pleasure.